Artist: Estelle Kenyon (maiden name: Van Huyssteen). Permanent residency Prince Albert, Klein Karoo, Western Cape. Currently residing in Muscat, Oman.
Estelle teaches full time and exhibits. She is currently living in Muscat, Oman
I paint because I cannot not paint. The subject matter I choose reflects aspects of nature and forgotten memories of places I have visited, some real and some imagined. The images that emerge on the canvas reflect a visual narrative, expressing that which is hidden from the rational eye. There is a desire to access the silence within from which form is born.
Western secular lifestyle has created boundaries between the physical and the spiritual and that influences one’s ability to see with a clear eye and mind. We are confronted through the media, the government, dogma etc.by bias so that we are left with few thoughts of our own and the person we started off with has become a clone of society. With painting it is an attempt to connect with that force which fills one with a deeper understanding of what is.
- Matriculated from Pro Arte School Pretoria
- Studied BA(ed) Fine Arts University of Pretoria 1983-1987
- Worked at Film production. Peter Vaughan News productions 1988
- Worked at the SABC. South African National News broadcaster. 1988-1992
- Life Drawing, painting, presenting workshops and exhibiting artist full time 1992-2012
- Worked at NIS School of Chemistry and Biology, Kyzylorda. Kazakhstan. PD ART department 2012-2014
- Worked at Lyceum 6 Baku, Azerbaijan. DP diploma art program 2014-2015
- Completed 5 week portfolio Master Class at Art Academy Studios, France 2015
- Worked at NIS School of Chemistry and Physics, Karaganda PD ART department. 2015-2016
- Working at Al Sahwa International School. Muscat, Oman. 2016 – until present.